Piper Sandler Said Don't Get Hung Up on Tesla's (TSLA) Weak April China Sales Numbers
- Wall Street closes lower as Fed officials project rate hikes for 2023
- Fed maintains federal funds rate at 0 to 1/4 percent (Full Statement)
- Oracle (ORCL) Tops Profit and Sales Views But Stock Falls on Guidance Miss, Analysts Still Raise PTs
- General Motors (GM) to Boost EV and AV Investments to $35 Billion Through 2025
- Oil settles near $75, at multi-year highs
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Piper Sandler analyst Alexander Potter is agreeing with the view that Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) may have only sold 11,671 vehicles in China for April. As other analysts have pointed out, of the 25,845 units sold in China during the month, 14,174 units were exports. That said, Potter sees a silver lining.
- some of the Shanghai factory was shut down for two weeks during April, with the Model Y likely impacted.
- If the plant shutdown impacted only Model Y, it probably reduced sales by 5k-7k units
- TSLA may be emphasizing exports early in the Q and China sales at quarter-end ...if so, there may be a boost in the final month of the Q (this occurred in Mar and Dec)
Overall, Potter said "don't stare too closely at these monthly numbers" as they prefer to examine Tesla's market share on a trailing 3-month basis. The analyst reiterated an Overweight rating and $1,200.00 price target.
Shares of Tesla closed at $629.04 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) at session highs, shares up 0.75%
- Tesla (TSLA) German Plant Can Face Public Objections Until Aug. 16 - Bloomberg
- KEC International Ltd (KECI:IN) PT Raised to INR460 at Edelweiss Capital
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!