Venezuela says three people with confirmed hantavirus have died

July 21, 2026 11:23 AM EDT

CARACAS, July 21 (Reuters) - ‌Three ​people ​with confirmed cases of hantavirus have died in Venezuela's eastern Anzoategui ‌state, the country's health ministry said ⁠on Tuesday.

Two other deaths, both of health professionals ‌in the state of ‌Barinas, are unconnected to the cases in Anzoategui and still under investigation, ​the ministry added in a statement, saying they are specific events that ⁠do not represent a risk to the health of ​the community.

"This virus is transmitted by rodents in rural and agricultural areas, ​principally by inhaling particles ‌of urine, feces or saliva in enclosed spaces," the statement ⁠said. "There is no scientific evidence of person-to-person transmission in our country."

The U.S. Centers for ⁠Disease Control and Prevention said last month it ​had ended its response to the hantavirus outbreak linked to a cruise ship, nearly two months ‌after the virus killed three people.

The Andes virus involved in ‌that outbreak is the only known ⁠hantavirus that can ‌spread through close, ​prolonged human-to-human contact.

(Reporting by Vivian Sequera, Daina Solomon and Julia Symmes ‌Cobb)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters