Ukraine to request $20 billion to keep momentum against Russia, source says
Servicemen of the 148th Separate Artillery Zhytomyr Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine fire a BM-21 Grad multiple launch rocket system towards Russian troops, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine May 25, 2026. REUTERS/Ana
KYIV, June 12 (Reuters) - Ukraine is seeking an additional $20 billion in military funding from its allies to cement what it sees as its current battlefield advantage over Russia, a Ukrainian defence source said on Friday.
The request will be made next Thursday at a meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, an alliance of more than 50 countries also known as the Ramstein group that provide financial and military aid for Kyiv.
Russia's advances have slowed this year - effectively grinding to a halt last month - as Ukrainian mid-range drone strikes have harmed its supplies and logistics for the front line. Long-range drone strikes are meanwhile inflicting pain on Russia's energy sector.
In recent weeks, Ukrainian military commanders have said the dynamics on the battlefield have given them a window this year to bring Russia to the negotiating table on more favourable terms.
Robert Brovdi, the commander of Ukraine's drone forces, told Reuters that his strategic aim was to force Russia to pull its troops back from the frontline by destroying their supply lines and logistics with escalating drone attacks.
To achieve that, he said, Ukraine needed money.
"The production capabilities, the quality of drones and the number of crews operating in Ukraine are enough to inflict devastating blows on the Russian economy, clog their logistics and kill personnel," Brovdi said.
Zelenskiy said last month that he wanted to press ahead before the onset of winter with peace talks with Russia, which have stalled in recent months, to capitalize on the improvement in Kyiv's strategic position.
However, Putin said last week that Russian forces were still advancing every day and he saw no need for such talks. He said there was no risk to Russia's economy, though he acknowledged Ukrainian strikes were causing harm.
Ukraine's plan to request additional funds was first reported by Politico.
At the meeting next week, some allies will each be asked to contribute between $2 billion and $6 billion to reach the $20 billion target, either in the form of aid or a loan, the source said.
(Reporting by Max Hunder; Additional reporting by Olena Harmash; Editing by Daniel Flynn and Kevin Liffey)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- US HHS launches initiative to improve response to missing autistic individuals
- Ken Griffin's Citadel sheds over 80% of Situational Awareness' bets
- Citadel sheds over 80% of aggregate risk from Situational Awareness portfolio
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share