Ukraine's Odesa suffers major blackouts after Russian attack

December 13, 2025 4:01 AM EST

A resident on a roof inspects a damaged apartment building at the site of a Russian missile and drone strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Odesa, Ukraine December 13, 2025. REUTERS/Nina Liashonok

KYIV, Dec 13 (Reuters) - ⁠Ukraine's southern port ⁠city ‍of Odesa and the surrounding region suffered major blackouts on Saturday after a large overnight ‍Russian attack on the power grid that left ​more than a million households without power.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said Russia ​had attacked Ukraine with more than 450 drones and 30 missiles.

"The brunt of the attack was on our energy system, on the ​south and Odesa region," Zelenskiy wrote on Telegram, adding that thousands of families in seven regions across ​Ukraine were left without power.

Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said it was one ‌of the war's largest attacks on Odesa, where supplies of electricity and water had been ​knocked out. She said supplies of ⁠non-drinking water were being brought in to areas of the city.

Ukraine's interior minister Ihor ‌Klymenko said more than a million households across Ukraine had been left without power and five people had been wounded ‌as a result of the attack.

Ukraine's power grid operator said a "significant ‌number" of households were without power in the southern regions of Odesa and Mykolaiv, and that the Ukrainian-controlled part of the ‍frontline Kherson region was totally without power.

Moscow has regularly bombarded Ukraine's energy system since its ⁠2022 invasion, causing hours of daily blackouts countrywide.

Russia's defence ministry said on Saturday it had conducted strikes on Ukrainian energy and military-industrial facilities.

(Reporting by Max Hunder; Editing by Peter Graff and Alexander Smith)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters