US proposes new plan to ease Israel-Lebanon tensions amid fighting

May 31, 2026 10:29 PM EDT

People clear the debris at the site of an Israeli strike on Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, May 28, 2026. REUTERS/Raghed Waked

May 31 (Reuters) - U.S. ‌Secretary of State ​Marco ​Rubio spoke with both Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on ‌the diplomatic negotiations between Israel and Lebanon and ⁠has proposed a plan to allow for "gradual de-escalation," a U.S. official ‌said on Sunday.

The U.S. has ‌proposed that as a first step, the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militant group would stop all attacks on Israel and ​in return Israel would refrain from escalation in Beirut, the official said.

"This would create space for gradual ⁠de-escalation and an effective cessation of hostilities," according to the official.

They added that ​Aoun tried to advance the proposal and secure an agreement. However, Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih ​Berri, who claimed to "guarantee" Hezbollah's commitment ‌to a ceasefire, placed the burden on Israel to stop "shooting first."

Netanyahu had said on ⁠Sunday that he ordered troops to move further into Lebanon in the battle against Hezbollah, despite a ceasefire announced more than ⁠six weeks ago.

In the latest advance, Israeli troops seized the 900-year-old ​Beaufort Castle and a strategic ridge in southern Lebanon, the military said earlier on Sunday, a day after one of the heaviest ‌days of Hezbollah fire toward northern Israel since the April ceasefire, prompting school closures ‌and restrictions.

The U.S. official said that the U.S. did not ⁠expect Israel to absorb ‌ongoing attacks on ​its civilians from Hezbollah.

(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk and Shubham Kalia; Editing by Himani Sarkar and Lincoln ‌Feast.)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters