US has responded to Chinese-linked cyber attacks on telecoms firms, Sullivan says
FILE PHOTO: Jake Sullivan, National Security Advisor of the United States, speaks at an event at the Indian Institute of Technology in New Delhi, India, January 6, 2025. REUTERS/Anushree Fadnavis/File Photo
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has take steps in response to Chinese-linked cyber-espionage operations against U.S. telecoms firms, U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Friday.
U.S. telecoms firms AT&T and Verizon said late last year their networks had been targeted by the cyber hackers, but were now secure as they worked with the U.S. government and law enforcement.
"We have taken steps in response to Salt Typhoon, in response to Volt Typhoon, we have sent clear messages to the PRC about what it would actually mean if they acted to disrupt American critical infrastructure and how we would respond," Sullivan told reporters, referring to China by the initials of its official name, the People's Republic of China.
(This story has been refiled to say Volt Typhoon, not Gold Typhoon, in paragraph 3)
(Reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt, David Brunnstrom and Katharine Jackson)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- US, Iran keep up hostile rhetoric ahead of new sanctions
- Explainer-What we know about the door handles that triggered China’s record auto recall
- Girl dies in hospital days after family drowned off English coast, police say
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share