US fully restarts activities in Mexico's avocado hub after security scare
Employees work at an avocado packing warehouse after the United States suspended avocado export inspections in the state following a security alert, a move that could delay shipments from Mexico's top producing region to its largest market, in Tacambaro d
MEXICO CITY, Aug 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. government said on Thursday it would fully resume activities throughout Mexico's western state of Michoacan, after earlier security concerns disrupted U.S. inspections needed to export the region's prized avocados.
Michoacan is Mexico's leading avocado-producing state and a vital supplier to the U.S. market. The U.S. halted operations there earlier this month, citing security risks, raising fears that supply could be cut off to U.S. grocery shelves.
U.S. Ambassador Ron Johnson thanked Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum for her efforts to improve security measures on the ground.
"I recognize the Government of Mexico, particularly its Security Cabinet, for the actions and close coordination that made this full resumption possible efficiently," he said in a statement on Thursday.
"We will continue to monitor security conditions and adjust our operations as appropriate."
A Michoacan government official previously told Reuters authorities believed the alert may have been triggered by violence following the arrest of alleged cartel leader Alfonso Fernandez Magallon.
The official also said authorities had received unconfirmed reports that a U.S. Department of Agriculture inspector may have been threatened, underscoring the security risks hanging over the region that has long been plagued by violence.
The full resumption of activities follows the U.S. embassy's announcement last week of a partial restart in parts of Michoacan's "avocado belt."
Sheinbaum had said Mexico was working with the U.S. Embassy to guarantee inspectors' safety, and would deploy more than 1,500 soldiers and National Guard personnel to Michoacan.
U.S. avocado inspections in the state were also temporarily suspended in 2022 and 2024 after security incidents involving inspectors.
(Reporting by Ana Isabel Martinez; Editing by Daina Beth Solomon)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- US prosecutors focus on four businesses tied to billionaire Mark Walter, WSJ reports
- Landslide in southwest China kills at least one person
- India says it thwarted attacks by Pakistan-backed militants, arrested over 200 operatives
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share