US charges 30 more in anti-ICE protest at Minnesota church

February 27, 2026 1:47 PM EST

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi departs following U.S. President Donald Trump's State of the Union address at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., February 24, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper

Feb 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice ‌Department on ​Friday charged ​30 more people accused of disrupting a Minnesota church service last month in protest of the Trump administration's immigration enforcement operation.

The indictment ‌vastly increases the scope of a criminal case that already included ⁠former CNN anchor Don Lemon, one of nine people initially charged. All 39 defendants are ‌charged with conspiracy against the right ‌of religious worship and violating a law that forbids obstructing access to houses of worship.

"At my direction, federal agents have already arrested 25 of them, ​with more to come throughout the day," U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi said on social media. "YOU CANNOT ATTACK A HOUSE OF WORSHIP. If you do ⁠so, you cannot hide from us — we will find you, arrest you, and prosecute you."

Lemon and several others ​previously charged have pleaded not guilty. Lemon, now an independent journalist who livestreamed the demonstration, has argued the charges violate his ​free press rights under the First Amendment ‌to the U.S. Constitution. Lemon and other defendants have argued they are being targeted for opposing the Trump administration's immigration policies.

The ⁠January 18 protest at Cities Church in St. Paul drew widespread attention as the Trump administration deployed large numbers of federal agents to the region in an immigration crackdown ⁠that spurred protests and led to the killing of two U.S. citizens by immigration agents.

Protest ​organizers have said they picked the church because they believed a senior pastor there was an official with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The Justice Department has moved aggressively to charge people ‌involved with the demonstration, even after a federal judge initially declined to sign off on the arrests of several defendants. The ‌indictment accuses the demonstrators of organizing a "coordinated takeover-style attack" on the church.

Video footage showed ⁠demonstrators interrupting the service by ‌shouting anti-ICE slogans and confronting ​some congregants, prompting many to flee.

(Reporting by Andrew Goudsward and Bhargav Acharya, Writing by Andrew Goudsward and Christian Martinez; Editing by ‌Rod Nickel)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters