UN experts condemn Israeli strikes on Lebanon, UN rights body says
Dust rises following the demolition of buildings by Israeli forces, according to UNIFIL, in Naqoura, southern Lebanon, April 3, 2026. Kandice Ardiel (UN)/Handout via REUTERS
April 15 (Reuters) - United Nations experts on Wednesday condemned Israel's bombing in Lebanon earlier this month as "illegal aggression and indiscriminate bombing campaign", the United Nations Human Rights Council said.
"This is not self-defence. It is a blatant violation of the UN Charter, a deliberate destruction of prospects for peace, and an affront to multilateralism and the UN-based international order," the experts were quoted as saying in a statement.
Israel carried out its heaviest strikes on Lebanon since the conflict with Hezbollah broke out last month, killing more than 250 people on April 8, as the Iran-aligned group resumed rocket attacks on northern Israel after a brief pause under a two-week U.S.-Iran ceasefire.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Lebanon was not part of the ceasefire.
(Reporting by Thomas Seythal, editing by Linda Pasquini)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- European shares muted as higher oil prices counter bond recovery
- China's Shanghai eases housing policies to spur demand
- Evergrande founder Hui Ka Yan, from property tycoon to life in jail
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share