UN envoy in Iran to support 'durable' end to conflict
FILE PHOTO: A man carries an Iranian flag as he walks amidst the rubble of a building of the Sharif University of Technology, which was damaged in a strike, amid the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Tehran, Iran, April 7, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (W
April 8 (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres's personal envoy has arrived in Iran as part of a regional tour to back efforts towards "a comprehensive and durable resolution" to the Iran war, and is also expected to visit key mediator Pakistan, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
Jean Arnault will hear Iranian perspectives "on the way forward" and reiterate Guterres' commitment to support a peaceful settlement, a U.N. statement said.
Arnault also called on all leaders to "choose the path of peaceful resolution and the protection of civilians," it said.
The veteran U.N. diplomat, named as Guterres' envoy on the conflict last month, left for the Middle East on Monday but the United Nations has not detailed his itinerary.
U.N. deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq said Arnault was in transit to Tehran and intended to meet government officials. He said Arnault was also expected to visit Pakistan, which facilitated the ceasefire, in coming days.
Haq noted that Guterres had welcomed the ceasefire between the United States and Iran, but the U.N. was concerned about fighting elsewhere.
"We urge all concerned to abide by the ceasefire," Haq told a regular U.N. briefing. "We are worried that any violence in part of the region may play the effect of spoiling the agreements that have been achieved for the rest of the region, so we want to make sure that all fighting, everywhere, is abated."
Haq said it would be up to the parties to the ceasefire to work out the terms of that and how it will be implemented.
"Obviously, our priority is making sure that the ceasefire lasts, that the fighting halts, and that there's freedom of movement of marine vessels in the Strait of Hormuz," he said, referring to the key energy shipping route blocked by Iran.
(Reporting by David Brunnstrom and Susan Heavey in Washington; Editing by David Ljunggren and Cynthia Osterman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- DOJ seeks to question FBI officials tied to search of Trump Mar-a-Lago estate, sources say
- Abbott to pay $670 million to settle some preterm infant formula cases
- US firm Powerus wins $22.3 million contract to protect Middle East energy infrastructure from drones
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share