UK calls again for immediate ceasefire in Lebanon

September 28, 2024 2:52 PM EDT

FILE PHOTO: Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs of the United Kingdom David Lammy speaks at the United Nations Security Council meeting on the escalation in fighting in Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah during the Unite

LONDON (Reuters) - British Foreign Secretary David Lammy said he had spoken with Lebanon's Prime Minister Najib Mikati on Saturday, following an Israeli airstrike on Beirut which killed Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah.

"We agreed on the need for an immediate ceasefire to bring an end to the bloodshed. A diplomatic solution is the only way to restore security and stability for the Lebanese and Israeli people," Lammy said in a statement on social media platform X.

Earlier in the week Lammy told the United Nations' General Assembly that there should be an immediate ceasefire between Lebanon's Hezbollah and Israel and that a full-blown war was not in the interest of the people in the region.

Britain's foreign ministry has advised its nationals to leave Lebanon as soon as possible.

(Reporting by David Milliken; editing by Jason Neely)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters