Back to mobile site

UK government rules out public inquiry into Epstein for now

August 5, 2026 2:42 AM EDT

Britain's Prime Minister Andy Burnham looks on, as he meets with members of the Home Office and of the Coastguard, during a visit to HM Coastguard Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre, in Dover, Britain, August 2, 2026. REUTERS/Jack Taylor/Pool

LONDON, Aug 5 (Reuters) - ‌The British ​government ​is not actively considering holding a public inquiry into the convicted sex ‌offender Jeffrey Epstein and his actions in ⁠the UK, the Ministry of Justice said in ‌a statement on Wednesday.

Nearly ‌seven years after his death, the Epstein scandal has rocked the British establishment, leading ​to the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, King Charles' brother, and of Peter Mandelson, the ⁠former British ambassador to the U.S.

Victims minister Alex Davies-Jones had ​told the BBC a day earlier that Prime Minister Andy Burnham was "looking into" ​holding an inquiry, but ‌the Ministry of Justice subsequently ruled this out for the time being.

"Our ⁠thoughts are firmly with the victims of Jeffrey Epstein, who have survived devastating trauma," a Ministry ⁠of Justice spokesperson said in a statement.

"The Prime Minister is ​committed to meeting with victims, but a public inquiry is not being actively considered."

British police are already ‌investigating a number of allegations related to the disgraced financier, with possible ‌offences ranging from child sex abuse to ⁠trafficking women through UK ‌airports and ​misconduct in public office.

(Reporting by Sarah Young, Editing by Paul Sandle and William ‌James)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters