U.S. closes 2022 probe into 695,000 Tesla vehicles over unexpected braking

July 2, 2026 3:41 AM EDT

Tesla Model 3 vehicles are shown for sale at a Tesla facility in Long Beach, California, U.S., May 22, 2023. REUTERS/Mike Blake

July 2 (Reuters) - The ‌U.S. ​National ​Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on Thursday said it had closed its ‌2022 preliminary evaluation into 695,000 Tesla ⁠vehicles over unexpected deceleration, citing low demonstrated hazard ‌to drivers and a ‌substantial drop in incidents.

Here are a few details:

• The investigation covered Model 3 ​and Model Y vehicles.

• NHTSA said that Tesla had released software updates ⁠in early 2022 to target unexpected deceleration.

• Incident reports ​declined to 45 in 2024, 19 in 2025, and three since the ​start of 2026, according ‌to the auto safety regulator. There were 300 such reports ⁠when the investigation was opened.

• The regulator said the reported conditions did not alter ⁠the vehicle’s lateral positioning in their lanes and ​did not cause significant loss in distance between the subject and following vehicle to lead to ‌a collision.

• Last week, NHTSA had separately closed an expanded probe ‌covering an estimated 376,241 Model 3 ⁠and Model Y ‌vehicles over loss ​of steering control.

(Reporting by Disha Mishra in Bengaluru; Editing by Nivedita ‌Bhattacharjee)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters

Related Entities

Tesla, Model 3