Two explosions hit cargo vessel in Gulf off Iraq, officials say
BAGHDAD, June 1 (Reuters) - Two explosions struck a cargo vessel in the Gulf about 40 nautical miles southeast of Iraq's Umm Qasr, one of which was caused by a drone attack, Iraqi officials said on Monday.
Earlier, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said the vessel had been hit by some sort of projectile on its starboard side, causing a large explosion.
A second explosion struck the same vessel and was the result of a drone attack, according to an initial assessment, the Iraqi officials told Reuters.
The fire aboard the vessel was later brought under control, they added.
"As we were assessing the damage from the first explosion, we heard a drone hovering overhead, followed by a powerful blast that sparked a fire on the tanker," an Iraqi maritime patrol member told Reuters.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack and no information on the identity of the vessel was available.
(Reporting by Aref Mohammed in Basra and Ahmed Rasheed in Baghdad; Eman Abouhassira and Hatem Maher; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Susan Fenton)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Romania adopts new measures to boost Danube waters to cool Cernavoda nuclear plant
- Vatican to build €100 million renewable energy plant, sources say
- Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share