Trump defends higher ballroom costs, targets less than $400 million

May 6, 2026 8:25 AM EDT

Aerial view from the top of the Washington Monument shows construction crews as they continue site preparation for a planned White House ballroom in the area of the former East Wing in Washington, D.C., U.S., May 2, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno

WASHINGTON, May 6 (Reuters) - U.S. ‌President Donald ​Trump ​defended the rising cost estimates for his planned ballroom on Wednesday, saying the cost of the ‌massive building on the White House complex would ⁠still be less than $400 million.

"The only reason the cost has changed ‌is because, after deep rooted ‌studies, it is approximately twice the size, and a far higher quality, than the original proposal, which would ​not have been adequate to handle the necessary events, meetings, and even future Inaugurations," Trump said in a ⁠Truth Social post.

"The original price was 200 Million Dollars, the double sized, highest ​quality completed project will be something less than 400 Million Dollars."

Trump previously had said that private ​donations would pay for the cost ‌of the ballroom project.

His comments on Wednesday followed a proposal by U.S. Senate Republicans to ⁠give $1 billion in taxpayer funding to the Secret Service this year for security upgrades, including the White House ballroom.

The funding package ⁠text does not say how much of the new Secret Service ​funds provided by taxpayers will pay for the ballroom.

Republican lawmakers pushed for legislation to fund and expedite construction of a ballroom days ‌after an alleged gunman was apprehended at last month's White House Correspondents' dinner, where Trump ‌was set to speak.

Democratic Senator Dick Durbin criticized the move ⁠as providing funds for ‌a Trump "vanity project" while ​Americans are struggling to make ends meet.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey and Doina Chiacu; Editing by Mark ‌Porter)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters