Thousands march in Hungary in protest over child abuse scandal
Peter Magyar, leader of Hungary's opposition Tisza party, attends a protest march organised by Tisza over a case of abuse at a juvenile detention centre, amid an ongoing investigation, in Budapest, Hungary, December 13, 2025. REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo
By Krisztina Fenyo
BUDAPEST, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Thousands of Hungarians marched to Prime Minister Viktor Orban's offices on Saturday, led by opposition leader Peter Magyar, who urged the veteran nationalist to resign over an abuse scandal at a juvenile detention centre.
Protesters walked through Budapest's frosty streets behind a banner reading "Protect the children!", carrying soft toys and torches in solidarity with victims of physical abuse in a case dating back several years.
The prosecutor's office said on Wednesday that seven people had been detained at the state-run Budapest juvenile centre so far.
Orban, who faces what could be the toughest challenge to his 15-year rule in an election likely in April, condemned the abuse in an interview with news outlet Mandiner, calling it unacceptable and criminal.
"More and more revolting things keep surfacing on a daily basis, which I did not think were possible in this country," said Judit Voros, one of the protesters marching to Orban's offices on Castle Hill in Budapest.
Earlier this week, the government placed Hungary’s five juvenile correctional institutions under direct police oversight while prosecutors investigate the case.
Prosecutors have been investigating the centre's former director for months on suspicion of running a prostitution ring, money laundering and human trafficking.
A video published this week by opposition activist and former lawmaker Peter Juhasz prompted the resignation of the centre's acting director.
(Reporting by Krisztina FenyoWriting by Gergely SzakacsEditing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Health of Norway's king deteriorates while in hospital, palace says
- Israeli airstrikes in Gaza kill two people, including 4-year-old boy, medics say
- Putin wants to draft 300,000 new troops, Zelenskiy says
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share