Taliban detains three journalists in Afghanistan, UN says
The United Nations logo adorns a window at U.N. headquarters in New York City, U.S., September 18, 2025. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
By Mohammad Yunus Yawar
KABUL, May 14 (Reuters) - Afghanistan's Taliban government has detained at least three journalists on unspecified charges, the United Nations mission there said on Thursday in a statement that called for the protection of reporters.
The three were the head of the Kabul-based Paigard News Agency, and two staff from Afghanistan's first 24-hour news channel, TOLOnews, media and rights groups said.
The UN mission UNAMA said it urged "the de facto authorities to uphold their obligations under international human rights law and ensure that journalists can do their work without fear of intimidation, harassment, or reprisal".
More than 40% of Afghanistan's media outlets closed within three months of the Taliban returning to power in August 2021, according to Reporters Without Borders, and women have been barred from most journalism roles.
Afghanistan ranks among the world's most dangerous countries for journalists, the campaign group says.
The Taliban's Ministry of Information and Culture confirmed the detention of the two TOLOnews journalists, saying their cases were under investigation, without specifying charges.
TOLOnews named them as Imran Danish and Mansoor Niazi and said security officials had said there would be more information on the cases against them when legal procedures had been completed.
Paigard News Agency's Ahmad Jawed Niazi was arrested late on Thursday last week at his office in Kabul by Taliban intelligence forces, the Afghanistan Media Support Organization said in a statement issued on the agency's behalf.
(Reporting by Mohammad Yunus Yawar in Kabul; Editing by Ariba Shahid and Andrew Heavens)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Countries fall far short of pledges to restore stricken land, report shows
- AI reshapes India's IT services sector contracts as clients demand more for less
- Ex-Google engineer's conviction for stealing AI secrets partially overturned
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share