Swiss president says U.S. trade talks to continue beyond March

March 29, 2026 4:44 AM EDT

President of the Swiss Federation, Guy Parmelin, speaks next to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (not pictured), ahead of the signing of a broad package of EU-Switzerland agreements, in Brussels, Belgium, March 2, 2026. REUTERS/Yves Herm

ZURICH, March 29 (Reuters) - ‌Trade talks ​between ​Switzerland and the United States will continue beyond March following a ‌preliminary accord on tariffs struck last year, ⁠Swiss President Guy Parmelin said.

Switzerland was subject to ‌the highest U.S. tariffs ‌in Europe when U.S. President Donald Trump in August imposed a 39% duty on ​products imported from the country.

In November, Bern sealed an initial deal to cut ⁠the tariffs to 15%. Switzerland later began talks to formalise ​that accord, which Washington was pressing to conclude by the end of ​March.

In February, the U.S. Supreme ‌Court struck down Trump's global tariffs, prompting him to order a ⁠fresh 10% global duty.

In March, the U.S. launched new investigations against major trading partners, including ⁠Switzerland, casting further uncertainty over how talks would proceed.

Parmelin, ​who is also the Swiss economy minister, told state broadcaster RSI this weekend the March target was "de ‌facto" no longer applicable and that negotiations would continue.

The next round ‌of Swiss-U.S. trade talks is likely to ⁠take place in ‌April, according to ​two people familiar with the matter.

(Reporting by Dave Graham, Editing by Rachel ‌More)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters

Related Entities

Donald J. Trump