Spanish national evacuated from hantavirus cruise ship tests positive

May 25, 2026 2:18 PM EDT

People wearing protective equipment interact with the crew of the cruise ship MV Hondius, which was affected by a hantavirus outbreak, after the ship arrived at the Port of Rotterdam, where Dutch authorities are preparing quarantine arrangements, in Rotte

MADRID, May ‌25 (Reuters) - A ​Spanish ​national in quarantine in a Madrid military hospital, who ‌is among those evacuated from a ⁠cruise ship earlier this month, has ‌tested positive of hantavirus, ‌Spain's Health Ministry said on Monday.

It is the second positive case ​among the 14 Spanish nationals who were evacuated to the ⁠Spanish island of Tenerife from the luxury liner MV ​Hondius, which had been carrying around 150 passengers and crew ​from 23 countries when ‌a cluster of severe respiratory illnesses was first reported ⁠to the World Health Organization on May 2.

After confirming the infection, the ⁠Spanish national has been taken to an ​isolation unit at the Gómez Ulla Hospital, the Health Ministry said on X. It ‌added that the fact that the case was detected ‌among those already in quarantine "does ⁠not modify the ‌risk situation" ​for the overall population.

(Reporting by Joan Faus; Editing by Toby ‌Chopra)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters