Spain's Deputy PM Diaz withdraws from Elon Musk's X platform
FILE PHOTO: Spanish Labour Minister Yolanda Diaz attends a welcome ceremony for Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan in Madrid, Spain, June 13, 2024. REUTERS/Violeta Santos Moura/File Photo
MADRID (Reuters) -Spanish Labour Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Yolanda Diaz said on Tuesday she will withdraw from Elon Musk's social media platform X due in part to the billionaire's behaviour during events linked to President Donald Trump's inauguration.
"I made this decision, which I know is complicated, but I will not be part of a social network based on the use of algorithms that encourage xenophobic ideas, against human rights and encourage the extreme right in the world," she told state broadcaster TVE.
She said the decision followed "Elon Musk's positioning yesterday, not only with his gestures, but with the absolutely convoluted speeches he is making".
At an inauguration-related event on Monday, Musk raised his arm in a gesture that drew online comparisons to a Nazi salute.
The Anti-Defamation League, which tracks antisemitism, disagreed that it was a Nazi salute, saying it appeared to be an "awkward gesture in a moment of enthusiasm".
Musk himself called the criticism a "tired" attack on X.
Diaz said she will stop posting on X on personal and political matters, adding that other ministers from her hard-left Sumar party will also stop using the platform.
The Spanish government said on Tuesday every minister was free to choose which social platforms to use and Diaz's decision was personal.
"The Spanish government continues to release information through various channels and digital platforms," government spokesperson Pilar Alegria told reporters.
Earlier this month, the German Defence and Foreign Ministries said they would stop using X, with the Defence Ministry saying it had become increasingly "unhappy" with developments on the platform. They joined a growing number of German and UK universities, which have departed from X.
(Reporting by Inti Landauro, editing by Aislinn Laing and Sharon Singleton)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Iran stance
- Charles Schwab to scale India centre workforce to 2,000 by 2027
- European corporate outlook keeps improving as recovery goes beyond energy profits
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share