South Korea takes next UN step in Iran sanctions snapback process
FILE PHOTO: The United Nations headquarters building is pictured though a window with the UN logo in the foreground in the Manhattan borough of New York August 15, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri/ File Photo
By Michelle Nichols
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) -South Korea on Monday finalized a draft U.N. Security Council resolution that would permanently lift sanctions on Iran - a move it is required to take as current president of the 15-member body - but a vote has not yet been scheduled, diplomats said.
On August 28 Britain, France and Germany launched a 30-day process to reimpose U.N. sanctions, accusing Tehran of failing to abide by a 2015 deal with world powers that aimed to prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon.
Under that process, known as snapback, the council must now vote by late September on a resolution to permanently lift sanctions on Iran, requiring at least nine votes in favor and no vetoes by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, or France to pass.
If no member had put forward such a resolution 10 days after the snapback process was triggered then it would be up to the council president to do so, which is South Korea for September.
By finalizing the text on Monday South Korea can now put it to a vote at any time before the 30-day deadline expires. The resolution is unlikely to be adopted.
Britain, France and Germany are still trying to convince Iran to meet three requirements so their threat of reimposing U.N. sanctions can be delayed for a limited amount of time to allow space for talks on a long-term deal to address their concerns about Tehran's nuclear program. Such a delay would require a Security Council resolution.
Separately Iran's strategic allies Russia and China finalized a draft Security Council resolution late last month that would extend the 2015 deal for six months and urge all parties to immediately resume negotiations. But they have not yet asked for a vote.
If Russia and China put their resolution to a vote before Germany, France and Britain have reached agreement with Iran on a delay, then it could be vetoed by France, Britain or the U.S. if needed.
(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Stephen Coates)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump says no talks planned with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut
- Airbus targets A350F maiden flight in September, sources say
- AI chip startup Etched valued at $21 billion in latest funding round
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share