South Carolina confirms second measles case in Saluda County

May 4, 2026 12:31 PM EDT

FILE PHOTO: A signage stands outside a South Carolina Department of Public Health Mobile Health Unit in Spartanburg, South Carolina, U.S., February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Jayla Whitfield-Anderson/File Photo

May 4 (Reuters) - The ‌South Carolina ​Department ​of Public Health on Monday confirmed a second measles case in Saluda County, saying it ‌was linked to the initial case reported on ⁠April 17.

The cases are unrelated to a separate measles outbreak ‌in South Carolina's Upstate ‌region that totaled 997 cases and was declared over on April 26, the state health department added.

Here ​are some details:

• The first case was associated with international travel, while the second case involved ⁠a known contact who had been quarantining since April 17.

• The health department ​said the individual linked to the second case did not have any public exposures, ​and the individual's vaccination status ‌is unknown.

• No one is currently isolating, while 39 people remain in quarantine through ⁠May 9.

• "This second case was identified from an exposure linked to the initial case, and the individual had already ⁠been quarantining before symptoms developed," said Brannon Traxler, the agency’s deputy ​director and chief medical officer.

• As of April 30, 1,814 confirmed measles cases had been reported in the U.S. this ‌year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

• Vaccination remains the most ‌effective way to prevent measles, and vaccines are available ⁠through healthcare providers, pharmacies ‌and local health ​departments, the South Carolina health department said.

(Reporting by Siddhi Mahatole in Bengaluru; Editing by Tasim ‌Zahid)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters