Soccer-FIFA cancels mispriced free World Cup tickets after website error

June 5, 2026 10:28 AM EDT

The Gillette Stadium, officially known as Boston Stadium during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, ahead of the FIFA World Cup in Foxborough, Massachusetts, U.S., June 3, 2026. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

June 5 (Reuters) - FIFA ‌has cancelled ​World ​Cup tickets for about 60 fans who were able to ‌mistakenly purchase them for free due to ⁠a website error, and world soccer's governing body ‌is now asking for ‌them to be paid in full.

The affected fans were notified on Wednesday about ​tickets that were "allocated at no charge (0 USD) due to a prior payment ⁠issue during the checkout process", FIFA said on X.

“The tickets ​requested by these fans remain reserved, and the affected fans have been ​invited to complete payment ‌of the correct amount. FIFA regrets the error and any ⁠inconvenience caused."

It was the latest hiccup in what has been a controversial ticketing process for ⁠the tournament co-hosted by the U.S., Canada and ​Mexico. Last week the attorneys general of New York and New Jersey said they had issued ‌a subpoena to FIFA over its ticketing practices amid concerns about ‌fans' seat locations at the World Cup.

The ⁠48-team tournament runs ‌from June ​11 to July 19.

(Reporting by Nicole Fernandes in Toronto, editing by Ed ‌Osmond)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters