Rio Tinto's Kennecott copper mine suspends operations as contract worker dies
FILE PHOTO: A view shows the Rio Tinto logo in Perth, Australia, April 19, 2025. REUTERS/Christine Chen/File Photo
March 13 (Reuters) - An employee of a contracted company died on Thursday following an incident at Rio Tinto's Kennecott mine in Utah, the world's largest producer of iron ore said on Friday without providing further details.
Operations at the Kennecott mine site have been suspended following Thursday's accident, the Anglo-Australian miner said, while its CEO Simon Trott said he would travel to Kennecott.
The Kennecott copper mining operation is one of the top-producing mines in the world, according to the company's website.
The death is the latest in a series of fatal incidents across a few of Rio's mines, with the miner reporting the death of a contract worker last month at its SimFer mine, a part of Guinea's Simandou iron ore project.
(Reporting by Shivangi Lahiri in Bengaluru; Editing by Alan Barona and Arun Koyyur)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Analysis-Trump heads into midterms short on foreign policy wins
- Lula retains lead over Flavio Bolsonaro ahead of Brazil election, Datafolha shows
- US Treasury Secretary Bessent to hold press conference on Monday
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share