Paramount-Warner Bros deal paused through August 17, judge rules
FILE PHOTO: The Warner Bros. Water Tower is pictured at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank on the day it was announced that California and 11 states are suing to block Paramount's $110 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery in California, U.S. July 13
By Jody Godoy
July 23 (Reuters) - Paramount Skydance must pause its $110 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery through August 17, a federal judge ruled on Thursday.
The move gives Paramount Skydance more time to argue against a potential months-long pause while the case plays out. The company has said such a prolonged delay would plunge the deal into uncertainty and could cost it more than $1 billion.
A California-led coalition of states have sued to block the deal, saying it would harm competition in film and television, hurting theaters and cable companies. The Writers Guild of America has filed a separate lawsuit alleging the deal would decrease demand for screenwriting work.
U.S. District Judge Araceli Martínez-Olguín in Oakland, California, previously paused the deal through August 3, when she would have held a hearing on whether to postpone the deal's closing for longer.
Paramount has asked for a three-day hearing in August where it can present evidence the deal bolsters competition before the judge decides on a longer pause.
(Reporting by Jody Godoy in New York; Editing by Mark Porter and Deepa Babington)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Citadel unwinds 80% of Aschenbrenner’s portfolio risk - report
- Iran says Pakistan's army chief to visit Tehran on Monday
- Kazakhs begin voting in election set to tighten president's power
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Definitive AgreementSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share