NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

August 21, 2026 12:37 PM EDT

Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer

BRUSSELS, Aug 21 (Reuters) - ‌NATO's top ​commander ​convened a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to support freedom of ‌navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, his spokesperson ⁠told Reuters, adding that this is not a NATO ‌mission.

“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe ‌hosted a meeting of interested Allies at the chief of defence level on Wednesday, 19 Aug ​26, in order to facilitate their possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the ⁠Strait of Hormuz," a spokesperson for the alliance's top commander U.S. Air ​Force General Alexus Grynkewich said on Friday.

"To be clear, this is not a NATO mission. ​But given NATO’s unique strengths ‌in its ability to bring together Allies and understand the capabilities they bring ⁠to bear, it makes sense for NATO to facilitate in this way," the spokesperson added.

NATO allies have sought to ⁠avoid direct involvement in the Iran conflict, instead focusing on plans ​outside the alliance to reopen the strait, which before February carried about a fifth of all traded oil.

France and ‌Britain have led efforts to build a coalition among roughly a dozen countries ‌to guarantee safe passage through the strait once tensions ⁠ease or the conflict ‌is resolved, though ​any long-term arrangement would ultimately require Iranian acquiescence.

(Reporting by Lili Bayer; Editing by David ‌Gregorio)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters