Mercedes-Benz third quarter sales drop, dragged by China and US
FILE PHOTO: The Mercedes-Benz logo is seen at the 43rd Bangkok International Motor Show, in Bangkok, Thailand, March 22, 2022. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo
(Reuters) -Mercedes-Benz reported declining sales for the third quarter on Tuesday, as U.S. import duties and intensifying competition in China dented the German luxury carmaker's deliveries.
It delivered 441,500 vehicles between July and September, 12% fewer than in the same quarter last year, with sales in the U.S. and China falling by 17% and 27% respectively.
"While sales in Europe, South America and Gulf States (are) performing well, our sales in the third quarter were impacted by the market conditions in China," Mathias Geisen, a member of the management board, said in a statement.
Mercedes-Benz is one of several German auto manufacturers to have cut its guidance in 2025, as the industry incurred higher costs due to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on cars, their parts and materials, while sales fell drastically in China due to local competition.
Sales of battery electric vehicles (BEV) flattened compared to last year, at 42,600 cars, the automaker said.
(Reporting by Tristan Veyet in Gdansk, Ilona Wissenbach in Frankfurt; editing by Milla Nissi-Prussak)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- U.S. debt tops $40 trillion
- Green giant: How Taylor Farms became a top salad supplier before US diarrhea outbreak
- Deere raises 2026 net income forecast after first quarterly profit rise in three years
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share