Mattel builds He-Man movie buzz with new action figures
The Mattel company logo is pictured at the entrance of the Montoi plant in the municipality of Escobedo, Mexico March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Daniel Becerril
NUREMBERG, Germany, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Mattel launched a new line of action figures on Thursday for its upcoming live-action movie "Masters of the Universe", aiming to repeat the success of its 2023 smash hit "Barbie".
The toymaker has more than a dozen movies in development as it looks to reinvigorate its brands and spur demand.
"Masters of the Universe" is Mattel's second major theatrical release after "Barbie", which grossed more than $1.4 billion worldwide and won an Academy Award.
The toy launch builds on momentum from the new movie's first teaser trailer, released last week, which has since racked up more than 30 million YouTube views.
Roberto Stanichi, Mattel's chief global brand officer, said there was a lot of nostalgia for a toy line that first came out in the 1980s. "So we've been waiting for the right moment to bring it back in a way that really delivers on the legacy", he said at the Nuremberg International Toy Fair in Germany.
The decision to relaunch the brand was driven by Mattel finding the right team to make the movie, led by Oscar-nominated director Travis Knight, he told Reuters.
The action figures - including He-Man, Skeletor and Evil-Lyn - will retail for about $25 and roll out globally from April, around two months before the movie, starring Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man, hits theatres.
The cast includes Jared Leto as the villain Skeletor, as well as Idris Elba, Alison Brie and Camila Mendes.
(Reporting by Louisa Off in Nuremberg and Miranda Murray in Berlin. Editing by Mark Potter)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Exclusive-Trump administration to back US minerals projects with $500 million in grants
- Exclusive-Former PM Imran Khan would not confront Pakistan army chief if freed, close aide says
- Turkey, Egypt, Qatar condemn Israeli attacks on Gaza, call on Israel to comply with ceasefire obligations
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share