Man dies after shark bite off Western Australia coast
SYDNEY, May 16 (Reuters) - A man attacked by a shark off Western Australia's coast on Saturday died of his injuries, police said, in what is the second fatal shark attack in Australia so far this year.
The 38-year-old victim, yet to be identified, was bitten on Saturday morning at Horseshoe Reef near Rottnest Island, about 31 km (19.2 miles) west of state capital Perth, police said in a statement.
The man was taken to shore but could not be revived, police said, adding that a report would be prepared for the coroner.
State authorities advised people to take extra caution in the water at Rottnest Island, a popular tourist destination.
Aerial footage from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation showed a police boat, police officers, and a rescue helicopter with a stretcher at the scene.
The attack follows the death in January of a boy bitten by a shark in Sydney Harbour, after a series of shark attacks along the country's east coast.
Most shark attacks occur along the east and southeast seaboard of Australia, which averages around 20 such incidents a year, according to Australia's Institute of Health and Welfare.
(Reporting by Sam McKeith in Sydney; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ukrainian capital Kyiv under attack by Russian ballistic missiles, mayor says
- Liberia's former vice president charged in probe of transnational drug ring, government says
- El Niño rains in Peru disrupt access to Machu Picchu
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share