One dead, 4 injured after China's Qinghai hit by magnitude 6.3 earthquake

June 16, 2026 6:12 AM EDT

BEIJING, June 16 (Reuters) - ‌A magnitude ​6.3 ​earthquake hit the northwestern Chinese province of Qinghai on Tuesday, killing at ‌least one person and injuring four, as rescuers ⁠rushed to the site in search of trapped survivors.

The ‌quake struck a high-altitude ‌area in the prefecture of Haixi in Qinghai at a depth of 10 km at ​5:06 p.m. Beijing time (0906 GMT) on Tuesday, the China Earthquake Networks Centre said.

Initial checks ⁠showed transport, communication, water and power lines within 50 km ​of the epicentre were operating normally, local newspaper Qinghai Daily said late on Tuesday.

Some ​320 people are now ‌deployed for the search operation, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

State media previously ⁠reported that all workers at coal mines near the epicentre have been evacuated and authorities are assessing ⁠casualties and property damage.

The quake was followed by over a ​dozen aftershocks including one of magnitude 4.9.

Authorities dispatched tents, beds and blankets to quake-hit areas and got companies ‌and charities to provide food and water for affected residents.

The epicentre was ‌near Da Qaidam, home to the mineral-rich ⁠Emerald Lake, a popular ‌stop on the ​Qinghai-Gansu tourist route.

(Reporting by Shi Bu and Liz LeeEditing by Ros Russell, Alexandra ‌Hudson)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters