Macron, Kagame inaugurate Rwanda genocide memorial in Paris

June 2, 2026 2:02 PM EDT

French President Emmanuel Macron and Rwandan President Paul Kagame arrive to attend the inauguration ceremony of the Habib-Bourgiba esplanade along the River Seine, a new memorial site paying tribute to the victims of the Rwanda's genocide, in Paris, Fran

PARIS, June 2 (Reuters) - ‌French President ​Emmanuel ​Macron and his Rwandan counterpart Paul Kagame on Tuesday inaugurated a memorial in Paris to ‌honour the victims of the 1994 genocide ⁠against the Tutsis in Rwanda.

Macron said the memorial placed the genocide ‌of the Tutsis "at the ‌heart of our capital and our history", and that it was "the culmination of a long and ​painstaking quest for the truth".

• In May 2021, during a visit to Rwanda, Macron recognised his ⁠country’s responsibility in the Rwandan genocide and said he hoped for forgiveness, ​seeking to reset relations after years of Rwandan accusations that France was complicit in the ​1994 slaughter of an estimated ‌800,000 people — mostly ethnic Tutsis. However, he stopped short of issuing a formal apology.

• ⁠This was after a commission established by Macron concluded in March 2021 that France had been blinded by ⁠its colonial attitude to events leading up to the genocide and ​bore a "serious and overwhelming" responsibility for failing to foresee the slaughter.

• The memorial on the banks of the Seine river ‌in the heart of Paris is named "L'Archive". It was designed by Portuguese artist Grada ‌Kilomba. It consists of two black steles and ⁠bears an engraved tribute ‌to the hundreds ​of thousands of men, women, and children massacred between April and July 1994.

(Reporting by Dominique ‌Vidalon)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters