Kennedy Center begins layoffs ahead of two-year closure, WaPo reports
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, renamed The Donald J. Trump and The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, by the Trump administration, stands after U.S. President Donald Trump said he planned to close the Ke
March 26 (Reuters) - The Kennedy Center began layoffs on Thursday ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to shut down the institution for two years, the Washington Post reported, citing multiple people at the center.
It is unclear how many staffers were affected, but the number appears to be in the double digits and affected multiple departments, the Post said.
The Washington arts institution, whose board in December voted to rename it the Donald J. Trump and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Trump said in February he planned to close the center for two years for reconstruction starting in July.
The U.S. president had earlier named himself its chairman and filled its board with allies.
(Reporting by Bhargav Acharya in Toronto; Editing by Caitlin Webber)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Iran stance
- China robot makers flock to Beijing show, seek path to mass adoption
- Badminton-Ukrainian shuttlers voice pain of war at World Championships
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share