Judge blocks Trump from cutting counterterrorism funds for Democratic-led states
U.S. President Donald Trump announces a deal with Pfizer to sell drugs at lower prices, in the Oval office of the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., September 30, 2025. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno
By Dietrich Knauth
(Reuters) -A federal judge in Rhode Island on Tuesday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from cutting $233 million in counterterrorism grants funds for Democratic-led states, including New York and Illinois.
Eleven states sued the Trump administration on Monday over last-minutes changes to counterterrorism grants, saying that Republican President Donald Trump was retaliating against Democratic-led states by redirecting funding away from them just as the fiscal year ends. The states said they needed a next-day restraining order, or else the funds would expire before they had a chance to challenge Trump's action in court.
U.S. District Judge Mary S. McElroy agreed, saying that the funds had been cut in a "slapdash" manner. She issued a temporary restraining order that prevents the Trump administration from diverting the counterterrorism funds until the court case has a chance to play out.
(Reporting by Dietrich Knauth; Editing by Leslie Adler)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Iran stance
- RBA's Hauser warns of rate hike if inflation risks crystallize
- Trump picks White House adviser Heidi Overton to run FDA, source says
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share