Italy's Salvini accuses ECB of damaging local banks
FILE PHOTO: Italian Deputy Prime Minister and right-wing League party leader Matteo Salvini attends a news conference at the Foreign Press Club in Rome, Italy December 10, 2018. REUTERS/Tony Gentile/File Photo
ROME (Reuters) - Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini on Tuesday accused the European Central Bank of attacking Italy's banking system, saying its request for local lenders to put aside more money to cover impaired loans could cost the country 15 billion euros ($17.14 billion).
Salvini, who heads the far-right League, said in a statement that the ECB move showed that the EU's banking union was creating instability and said more transparency was needed to dispel any suspicion the central bank was politically motivated.
Earlier on Tuesday, a source told Reuters the ECB would give the banks it supervises a target date to fully provision for all of their bad debt, existing and new. The move surprised some investors and particularly spooked Italian lenders because many hoped the ECB would be more flexible.
Troubled lender Monte dei Paschi di Siena
"The new attack by the ECB supervisor on the Italian banking system and MPS shows once again that the banking union ... not only does not make our financial system more stable, but it causes instability," Salvini said.
The far-right leader accused the ECB of overriding decisions made by the European Commission, adding that it raised a "fundamental question" about the bank's supposed impartiality.
"Independence does not mean irresponsibility," Salvini said, demanded greater transparency over its decision-making.
"This transparency is necessary to dispel the doubt that the ECB is making political use of the powers attributed to it. This latest foul play by the ECB could cost Italy 15 billion euros," he added.
The Italian central bank was not immediately available for comment.
(Reporting by Crispian Balmer, editing by Steve Scherer)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
- ECB chief Lagarde 'ready to serve' WEF, Swiss newspaper reports
- Putin wants to draft 300,000 new troops, Zelenskiy says
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
European Central BankSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share