Italy announces release of Flotilla activists detained in Libya

June 23, 2026 1:57 PM EDT

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani speaks during a press conference, on the day of a MED9 informal ministerial meeting, in Split, Croatia, April 9, 2026. REUTERS/Antonio Bronic

ROME, June ‌23 (Reuters) - Italy's ​Foreign ​Minister Antonio Tajani said on Tuesday two Italian pro-Palestinian campaigners ‌detained in Libya had been released ⁠after spending about a month in ‌custody.

• Israeli forces last ‌month arrested hundreds of people on board dozens of ships in international ​waters, to halt Global Sumud Flotilla volunteers trying to bring ⁠aid supplies to the Gaza Strip.

• In a post ​on social media platform X, Tajani said the two Italians had ​been handed over ‌to Italy's consul in Benghazi, along with a Uruguayan national ⁠who also holds Italian citizenship.

• The people held in Libya were part ⁠of a separate group of Flotilla activists who ​tried to reach the Palestinian enclave by land.

• According to the Global Sumud Flotilla, ‌the activists had staged a hunger strike in protest at ‌their detention and alleged mistreatment.

• ⁠Tajani said they ‌were due to ​return to Italy on Wednesday.

(Reporting by Angelo AmanteEditing by Gareth ‌Jones)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters