Italian court rejects TIM's precautionary appeal in network tariff dispute

July 21, 2026 11:42 AM EDT

Telecom Italia (TIM) logo is seen displayed in this illustration taken, May 3, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

MILAN, July 21 (Reuters) - A ‌Milan court has ​rejected ​a request for precautionary measures filed by Telecom Italia (TIM) against KKR-backed FiberCop over new tariffs for access to Italy's main ‌fixed-line telecoms network, grid owner FiberCop said.

The dispute centres on ⁠the terms governing TIM's access to the fixed-line network it sold to a KKR-led ‌consortium in 2024 under a ‌restructuring aimed at cutting the former phone monopoly's debt.

TIM had asked the court, under a fast-track procedure, to order FiberCop to notify telecoms ​regulator AGCOM of the economic conditions set out in a long-term service agreement governing TIM's access to the network assets.

In a ruling issued ⁠on Tuesday, the Milan court rejected TIM's request, saying the interpretation of the Master Service Agreement (MSA) ​put forward by TIM was not supported by the contract, FiberCop said in a statement.

TIM declined to comment.

The court ​also said the prices set out in ‌the MSA did not apply in areas subject to AGCOM's regulatory framework and ruled that FiberCop was not ⁠required to make the disclosure sought by TIM, the company said.

"FiberCop welcomes the decision of the Milan court, which fully rejected the precautionary appeal filed by TIM," ⁠the company said, adding the ruling confirmed the correctness of its conduct.

FiberCop revised its ​pricing framework after AGCOM in March classified it as a wholesale-only operator and granted it a lighter regulatory regime.

The decision removed previous cost-oriented price controls across most of ‌Italy, replacing them with a "fair and reasonable" pricing assessment and giving FiberCop greater flexibility in setting tariffs.

Sources previously ‌told Reuters that the new tariff scheme could result in dozens of ⁠millions of euros of additional annual ‌costs for TIM. The ​new pricing framework is due to take effect from September 16 after a transition period.

(Reporting by Valentina ZaEditing by ‌Keith Weir)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters