Israel issues evacuation warning for Lebanon's Baalbek, including Roman ruins area
FILE PHOTO: A view shows part of the Roman ruins of Baalbek, Lebanon January 5, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir/File Photo
DUBAI (Reuters) - The Israeli military issued a new evacuation warning on Wednesday for residents of a large area of the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbek and its 3,000-year-old Roman ruins.
The city, which was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984, is home to some of the best preserved Roman temples.
Israel struck the Bekaa Valley overnight, killing more than 60 people in several towns, the district governor said on Tuesday. It was the deadliest day yet in the area in more than a year of hostilities.
No evacuation orders were given for any of the towns struck overnight.
Israel has stepped up airstrikes across Lebanon over the last month, saying it is targeting the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah.
(Reporting by Tala Ramadan, Writing by Nayera Abdallah; Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump administration antisemitism probes into universities lacked evidence, ex-DOJ attorney says
- Japan's farmers go nocturnal as deadly heat intensifies
- China's LandSpace lands rocket booster; joins SpaceX and Blue Origin with reusable tech
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share