Israel court extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists

May 3, 2026 8:10 AM EDT

Activist Saif Abu Keshek, a member of the Global Sumud Flotilla detained by Israel, sits at a magistrate's court for a detention extension hearing in Ashkelon, southern Israel, May 3, 2026. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

ASHKELON, Israel, May 3 (Reuters) - An ‌Israeli court ​has extended ​by two days the detention of two activists arrested aboard a Gaza-bound flotilla that was intercepted by Israeli forces in international ‌waters near Greece, their lawyer said on Sunday.

Saif Abu Keshek, a ⁠Spanish national, and Brazilian Thiago Avila were detained by Israeli authorities late on Wednesday and brought ‌to Israel, while more than ‌100 other pro-Palestinian activists aboard the boats were taken to the Greek island of Crete.

A court spokesperson confirmed that their remand had been extended ​until May 5.

The governments of Spain and Brazil issued a joint statement on Friday calling their detention illegal.

The activists were part of a second Global ⁠Sumud flotilla, launched in an attempt to break Israel’s blockade of Gaza by delivering humanitarian assistance. The ​ships had set sail from Barcelona on April 12.

Israeli authorities requested a four-day extension of their arrest on suspicion of offences ​that include assisting the enemy during wartime, ‌contact with a foreign agent, membership in and providing services to a terrorist organisation, and the transfer of property for ⁠a terrorist organisation, said rights group Adalah, which is assisting in the activists' defence.

Hadeel Abu Salih, the men's attorney, said that the two deny the allegations. Their arrest was ⁠unlawful due to a lack of jurisdiction, she told Reuters at the Ashkelon Magistrate's Court ​after the hearing, adding that the mission was meant to provide aid to civilians in Gaza, not to any militant group.

Abu Salih said that Abu Keshek and Avila were subjected ‌to violence en route to Israel and kept handcuffed and blindfolded until Thursday morning.

Asked for comment, the Israeli military ‌referred Reuters to the Israeli foreign ministry, which said that staff were compelled to ⁠act to stop what it described ‌as violent physical obstruction ​by Abu Keshek and Avila. All measures taken were lawful, it said.

(Reporting by Rami Amichay; Writing by Maayan Lubell; Editing by ‌Joe Bavier)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters