Iranian authorities warned Bulgaria not to let US use airports

April 1, 2026 8:11 AM EDT

SOFIA, April 1 (Reuters) - Iranian ‌authorities warned ​NATO ​member Bulgaria last month not to let the U.S. use its airports for planes participating in ‌military operations in Iran, the foreign ministry said ⁠on Wednesday.

Earlier on Wednesday, Stanislav Balabanov, a deputy with the "There is ‌Such People" party, showed a ‌note from March 18 in which the Iranian government protested against U.S. military refuelling planes parked at Bulgaria's ​Vasil Levski airport.

In the note, Iran said it "reserves the right to take all necessary measures to protect its ⁠sovereignty, security and national interests in accordance with international law."

Later on Wednesday, in ​a statement to reporters, Deputy Foreign Minister Marin Raikov confirmed the note and said: "Bulgaria is not ​at war."

"No combat aircraft are being ‌loaded over Bulgaria to participate in military operations," he told reporters. "We maintain intact diplomatic relations ⁠with the Iranian side."

In late February, Bulgarian media reported that several U.S. military planes landed at the Sofia Vasil Levski civilian ⁠airport, and authorities have said they were part of the NATO ​forward deployment which Raikov confirmed on Wednesday.

"Our parliament has not approved decisions to support relevant military actions in the Strait of Hormuz ‌region," he said.

Some European countries, concerned over the war with Iran, have pushed back on ‌U.S. military operations.

Spain closed its airspace and denied base access, ⁠Italy rejected a stopover ‌at Sigonella base, and ​France blocked overflight of U.S.–Israel weapons flights.

(Reporting by Alex Lefkowitz; Writing by Ivana SekularacEditing by Keith ‌Weir)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters