Iran using Lebanon as bargaining chip in US talks, Lebanese president says

June 5, 2026 11:02 AM EDT

Lebanon's President Joseph Aoun addresses the 80th United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, U.S., September 23, 2025. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

(Corrects reference in paragraph 9 ‌from rejection of ​agreement to ​rejection of direct talks)

BEIRUT, June 5 (Reuters) - Lebanese President Joseph Aoun accused Iran of using Lebanon as a bargaining chip in its negotiations with the ‌United States on Friday, in some of his toughest criticism yet of ⁠Tehran and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah as it wages war with Israel.

In a CNN interview, Aoun said "the ‌people of Lebanon are paying the ‌price ... for the sake" of Iran's interests, and were "fed up" with war between Israel and Hezbollah - comments reflecting deep divisions along Lebanon's confessional and political faultlines.

"They are using ​Lebanon as a bargaining chip in their negotiation with the United States,” Aoun said of Iran, according to excerpts of the interview published on the CNN website. “It’s ⁠unacceptable."

Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, ignited the latest hostilities more than three months ago when ​it opened fire in solidarity with Tehran as Iran came under U.S.-Israeli attack.

Aoun, who led the Lebanese military before becoming head of state, ​is a Maronite Christian, as required by Lebanon's ‌sectarian power-sharing arrangements.

He has pressed for the peaceful disarmament of Hezbollah since being elected head of state by parliament last year. Early in ⁠the war, he called for face-to-face talks with Israel, further setting him at odds with the group.

Iran has made a Lebanon ceasefire a condition for any peace deal with Washington in the ⁠wider regional conflict that began with the U.S.-Israeli attack on Tehran on February 28.

On Thursday, Hezbollah rejected ​a ceasefire plan agreed by Lebanese and Israeli government officials in U.S.-mediated talks in Washington. The deal would be contingent on Hezbollah ceasing fire and its fighters withdrawing from southern Lebanon.

Hezbollah leader Naim ‌Qassem said in a written statement on Thursday that direct Lebanon-Israel talks in Washington were rejected by "broad segments of the Lebanese people".

Addressing ‌Qassem, Aoun said: "The Lebanese people are not your people".

Israeli attacks have killed thousands of people in ⁠Lebanon since March and displaced some ‌1.2 million people, Lebanese authorities ​say. Israeli troops have occupied a swathe of southern Lebanon.

(Reporting by Jana Choukeir and Maya Gebeily; Writing by Tom Perry; Editing by Toby Chopra, ‌Aidan Lewis)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters