Iran accuses UN nuclear watchdog of inaction, warns of risk from attacks

April 6, 2026 4:52 AM EDT

FILE PHOTO: Mohammad Eslami, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), speaks at the opening of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) General Conference at the agency's headquarters in Vienna, Austria, September 15, 2025. REUTERS/Lisa

DUBAI, April ‌6 (Reuters) - Inaction ​by ​the UN nuclear watchdog "emboldens aggression" against nuclear facilities ‌such as the Bushehr power ⁠plant, Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad ‌Eslami said on Monday ‌in a letter addressed to the International Atomic Energy Agency's ​director.

Eslami said Iran's only functioning nuclear power plant had ⁠so far been targeted four times, with ​the most recent attack in its vicinity on April 4 ​killing a security ‌staff member and injuring others.

He warned that such ⁠attacks could risk the release of radioactive material from an operating ⁠reactor and could have “irreparable consequences” for people, ​the environment and neighboring countries.

He described the attacks as a clear breach ‌of international law, and criticized what he called the ‌agency’s "lack of decisive action", ⁠saying mere expressions ‌of concern ​were insufficient and would embolden further attacks.

(Editing by Toby ‌Chopra)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters