German Christmas market attack death toll rises to six
FILE PHOTO: A closed stall with signs of damage stands at the 'Alter Markt' Christmas market, where a man drove a car into the crowd through an emergency exit route on Friday evening, in Magdeburg, Germany December 22, 2024. REUTERS/Annegret Hilse/File P
BERLIN (Reuters) - A 52-year-old woman has died in hospital from injuries sustained after a man drove his car into a German Christmas market last month, a spokesperson for the local public prosecutor's office said on Monday, bringing the death toll from the attack to six.
The attack on Dec. 20 in the central city of Magdeburg that also left scores injured shocked the country and stirred up tensions over the charged issue of immigration.
Officials have described the suspect as a 50-year-old psychiatrist from Saudi Arabia with a history of anti-Islamic rhetoric and a sympathy for the far-right Alternative for Germany party.
Authorities said the suspected attacker used emergency exit points to drive onto the grounds of the Christmas market, where he picked up speed and ploughed into the crowds, hitting more than 200 people in a three-minute attack. He was arrested at the scene.
(Writing by Miranda Murray, Editing by Friederike Heine)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Israeli airstrikes in Gaza kill two people, including a 4-year-old boy, medics say
- China postpones Chang'e-7 lunar mission
- Iran says Pakistan's army chief to visit Tehran on Monday
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share