France considers measures after Burkina Faso breaks off relations

June 27, 2026 5:45 AM EDT

PARIS, June ‌27 (Reuters) - France ​said ​on Saturday it was considering taking reciprocal measures ‌after Burkina Faso broke off diplomatic ⁠relations.

Burkina Faso said on Friday it ‌had severed links ‌with its former colonial ruler after years of worsening ties ​over security, sovereignty and alleged foreign interference.

"France regrets this hostile ⁠and unfounded decision, which illustrates the worrying ​drift of the Burkinabe authorities," the French foreign ministry said ​in a statement.

It urged ‌French nationals in Burkina Faso "to exercise heightened vigilance".

The ⁠West African country has been battling an Islamist insurgency that has ⁠spread from Mali and killed thousands and ​displaced millions in the region over the past decade.

Burkina Faso Communications Minister Gilbert ‌Ouedraogo said the decision took effect on Friday ‌and accused France of supporting "subversive ⁠networks" and "terrorists", charges ‌that France ​has previously denied.

(Reporting by Makini Brice; Editing by Andrew ‌Heavens)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters