Ferrari wins back rights to Testarossa brand at EU court
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Ferrari is seen in the headquarters as CEO Benedetto Vigna unveils the company's new long term strategy, in Maranello, Italy, June 15, 2022. Picture taken June 15, 2022. REUTERS/Flavio Lo Scalzo/File Photo
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) -Ferrari on Wednesday scored a win at the EU's second-highest court, which said the luxury sportscar maker had been wrongfully stripped off the rights to the Testarossa brand name.
Ferrari's rights on the mark were revoked in 2023 by the European Union's Intellectual Property Office, which said the company had not put them to "genuine use" for a continuous period of five years between 2010 and 2015.
But the EU's General Court annulled that decision, stating that Ferrari had used the trade mark, through giving explicit or implied approval to dealers selling second-hand Testarossas and through licensing the brand for scale models.
"The use of the trademark to guarantee the identity of the origin of the goods for which it was registered, when reselling second-hand goods is capable of constituting genuine use," the court said.
Ferrari built its iconic Testarossa cars, made famous by the 1980s TV show 'Miami Vice', between 1984 and 1996, and now only second-hand models are available.
Its rights to the brand name had been challenged by the head of German toy maker Autec.
(Reporting by Bart Meijer, Editing by Louise Heavens)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Explainer-Why is Trump talking about the Keystone XL oil pipeline?
- Orbital data center startup Starcloud valued at $2.3 billion in latest funding
- UK economy hands Burnham surprise boost before first budget
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share