Entire families killed during Syria's violence, UN says
A man inspects a damaged car in Latakia, after hundreds were reportedly killed in some of the deadliest violence in 13 years of civil war, pitting loyalists of deposed President Bashar al-Assad against the country's new Islamist rulers, Syria March 9, 202
GENEVA (Reuters) -Entire families including women and children were killed in Syria's coastal region as part of a series of sectarian killings by rival groups, the U.N human rights office said on Tuesday.
Pressure has been growing on Syria's Islamist-led government to investigate after reports by a war monitor of the killing of hundreds of civilians in villages where members of Assad's minority Alawite sect lived.
"In a number of extremely disturbing instances, entire families - including women, children and individuals hors de combat - were killed, with predominantly Alawite cities and villages targeted in particular," U.N. human rights office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan said, using a French term for those incapable of fighting.
He said initial reports indicated that the perpetrators, who have not been identified, were both members of armed groups supporting Syria's interim authorities and those associated with the former government.
"They appear to have been carried out on a sectarian basis, in Tartus, Latakia and Hama governorates - reportedly by unidentified armed individuals, members of armed groups allegedly supporting the caretaker authorities’ security forces, and by elements associated with the former government."
So far, the U.N. human rights office has documented the killing of 111 civilians and expects the real toll to be significantly higher, Al-Kheetan told a Geneva press briefing. Of those, 90 were men; 18 were women; and three were children, he added.
"Many of the cases documented were of summary executions. They appear to have been carried out on a sectarian basis...," Al-Kheetan told reporters. In some cases, men were shot dead in front of their families, he said, citing testimonies from survivors.
UN human rights chief Volker Turk welcomed an announcement by Syria's Islamist-led government to create an accountability committee and called for those investigations to be prompt, thorough, independent and impartial, the spokesperson added.
(Reporting by Emma Farge, Editing by Friederike Heine, William Maclean and Hugh Lawson)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UK productivity showing sustained improvement, economists say
- Fast fashion giant Shein valued at up to $27 billion in Hong Kong IPO
- Europe EV market share tops 25% in July as France, Germany drive growth
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share