Democratic senator proposes new safeguards to keep TikTok online
Logos of TikTok are seen at the TikTok house on the opening day of the 55th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, January 20, 2025. REUTERS/Yves Herman/File Photo
By David Shepardson
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Democratic Senator Ed Markey on Thursday proposed new national security safeguards that would ensure TikTok could remain online as the fate of the short video app used by 170 million Americans remains uncertain.
Congress last year passed legislation to force China's ByteDance to divest TikTok by January 19 or face a ban, but President Donald Trump has directed the Justice Department not to enforce the law.
Markey's proposal would eliminate the requirement that ByteDance sell TikTok’s U.S. operations if it establishes transparency requirements about content and limits foreign access to the data of TikTok’s American users.
Last month, Trump extended by 90 days to September 17 a deadline for ByteDance to divest the U.S. assets of TikTok.
Some Democratic lawmakers including Markey argue Trump has no legal authority to extend the deadline and have suggested the deal under consideration would not meet legal requirements.
“For months, I have been urging my colleagues to find an alternative path to the TikTok ban that keeps TikTok online without jeopardizing national security," Markey said. "With Trump continuing to illegally extend the divestment deadline, it’s time for Congress to reassert its legislative power, fix its mistake, and consider a new approach to TikTok."
A deal had been in the works this spring that would spin off TikTok's U.S. operations into a new U.S.-based firm, majority-owned and operated by U.S. investors. This stalled after China indicated it would not approve it following Trump's announcements of steep tariffs on Chinese goods.
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said last week TikTok will have to stop operating in the United States if China does not approve a deal for the sale of the app.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Tuesday said the future of TikTok did not come up in recent trade talks with China.
Trump has three times granted reprieves from federal enforcement of the law that mandated the sale or shutdown of TikTok that was supposed to take effect in January.
(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- U.S. debt tops $40 trillion
- Mariana, 18 more Brazil cities join Vale-BHP dam collapse compensation deal
- Brazil launches AI supercomputer push, splits projects between Chinese, US firms
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Donald J. TrumpSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share