Cyprus on standby to assist evacuations from Middle East
FILE PHOTO: Smoke rises over Beirut's southern suburbs after a strike, amid ongoing hostilities between Hezbollah and Israeli forces, as seen from Sin El Fil, Lebanon, October 1, 2024. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh/File Photo
NICOSIA (Reuters) -Cyprus has fully activated a mechanism to allow third-country nationals evacuating the Middle East safe passage through the island as the crisis in the region worsens, government officials said on Wednesday.
One country has sought Cyprus's assistance for the evacuation of civilians, and Cypriot authorities had offered facilities to nine other countries in assisting smaller groups of people to leave, Foreign Minister Constantinos Kombos said. He did not identify the countries.
Kombos said that while airports in the region remained functional, use of the Cypriot facility might be unnecessary.
"If, as a result of yesterday's developments, airports in the region shut, the (evacuation) plan comes into play," Kombos said after a meeting of the island's national security council, top advisers to the government on security issues.
He was referring to Tuesday's missile attack by Iran on Israel, which had previously launched a barrage of attacks against the Iran-backed Hezbollah group in Lebanon, decimating its senior command.
Close to 60,000 people from Lebanon were evacuated through Cyprus in 2006, during the last large-scale conflict between Israel and Hezbollah.
The island is the closest European Union member state to Lebanon, about 40 minutes by air and 10 hours away by boat. Some individuals from Lebanon have already started arriving on the island on private yachts, Cypriot officials said.
(Reporting by Michele Kambas; Editing by Sonali Paul and Peter Graff)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- US judge blocks Trump administration's plan to scrap FBI headquarters move to Maryland
- DOJ probes College of William & Mary alleging discrimination in favor of minorities
- US kindergarten vaccine coverage falls 0.1%, CDC says
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share