Convoy carrying Russian fighters attacked in Mali, sources say

July 9, 2026 12:34 PM EDT

DAKAR, July 9 (Reuters) - ‌A convoy carrying ​Malian ​soldiers and fighters from the Russian paramilitary Africa Corps came under attack in northern Mali ‌on Thursday, three security sources and a spokesperson ⁠for an armed group said.

One of the sources said the convoy ‌was ferrying more than 200 ‌Russian fighters and more than 100 Malian soldiers. A similar attack hit another military convoy headed north ​earlier this week, the same person said.

The Al Qaeda affiliate Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimin (JNIM) and the Tuareg-led ⁠rebel group the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) staged attacks on army positions across Mali ​on Saturday, July 4.

The convoy was heading towards the northern town of Anefis, where fighting has ​persisted since then, when it ‌came under fire early on Thursday, the sources said.

A spokesperson for the FLA claimed responsibility ⁠for the attack. It is unclear whether JNIM was also involved.

A spokesperson for Mali's military did not immediately respond to ⁠a request for comment.

Niger, a neighbour and ally to Mali, provided ​air support during the fighting, the three sources said.

Niger's military could not be reached for comment.

The FLA and JNIM teamed up for ‌a coordinated, high-profile operation in April that hit the airport in the capital Bamako ‌and killed the defence minister.

Africa Corps is backing Mali's military ⁠in the fight against ‌insurgencies that have ​plagued the West African country since 2012.

(Reporting by Mali newsroom and Portia Crowe; editing by Philippa ‌Fletcher)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters