Congo rebels pull back from key positions amid US pressure

May 11, 2026 3:10 PM EDT

Congolese soldiers stand guard during the repatriation of Congolese refugees from Busuma camp in Democratic Republic of Congo, April 23, 2026. REUTERS/Evrard Ngendakumana

May 11 (Reuters) - The Rwandan-backed ‌AFC/M23 rebel group ​has ​withdrawn from several key positions in Congo's eastern South Kivu province over the weekend, the Congolese army and a ‌rebel official said on Monday, marking the first significant battlefield ⁠shift in months.

• The withdrawal followed military pressure from the Congolese army and diplomatic ‌pressure from Washington, a spokesperson ‌for Congo's army told Reuters.

• It marks the first notable frontline movement since the rebels briefly took the city of Uvira in ​December before withdrawing under pressure from the United States. It comes two weeks after the U.S. imposed sanctions on former president ⁠Joseph Kabila over alleged links to AFC/M23, allegations he denies.

• The rebels pulled back from Kabunambo, ​some 35 kilometres north of Uvira, to Luvungi, roughly 30 kilometres further north towards the provincial capital Bukavu, ​where they were stationed before their advance ‌on Uvira, the two sources said.

• Congolese families who fled last year's violence to neighbouring Burundi have begun ⁠returning home, a civil society leader in Uvira told Reuters.

• Fighting has continued in eastern Congo despite mediation efforts led by the United States and ⁠other international actors.

• In a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio dated ​May 7 and shared with media over the weekend, AFC/M23 political coordinator Corneille Nangaa accused the U.S. of lacking credibility as a mediator, after signing a key ‌minerals partnership deal with Kinshasa last year.

• The State Department did not immediately respond to a request ‌for comment on Monday.

• Rwanda has denied accusations by the United Nations ⁠and Western governments that it ‌supports the insurgents.

(Reporting by ​Congo newsroom, Ange Kasongo in Kinshasa, Stanis Bujakera in Washington and Clement Bonnerot in Dakar; Editing by Robbie Corey-Boulet ‌and Sanjeev Miglani)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters