Composer Philip Glass drops Kennedy Center world premiere over Trump takeover

January 27, 2026 12:14 PM EST

FILE PHOTO: A worker walks in front of the recently renamed Donald J. Trump and John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, in Washington, D.C., U.S., December 29, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu/File Photo

By Doina Chiacu

WASHINGTON, Jan 27 (Reuters) - American ⁠composer Philip Glass ⁠withdrew ‍the world premiere of his symphony "Lincoln" from the Kennedy Center on Tuesday, saying the work's values conflict with those of the performing arts venue that was taken ‍over by President Donald Trump.

Glass is the latest musical luminary to withdraw ​from the Kennedy Center since Trump named himself chairman and filled its board with his allies last year. The ​Washington National Opera said this month it planned to leave its home of 50 years.

"After thoughtful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my Symphony No. 15 'Lincoln' from the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts,” ​Glass, who turns 89 on January 31, wrote in a statement posted on X.

"Symphony No. 15 is a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, and the values of the Kennedy Center today ​are in direct conflict with the message of the Symphony," he wrote.

The symphony had been scheduled to be performed in June.

TRUMP-APPOINTED ‌BOARD APPROVED NAME CHANGE

In December, the institution's board voted to rename it as the Donald J. Trump and John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for ​the Performing Arts, or Trump Kennedy Center for short.

Since ⁠then, many groups and artists have withdrawn from scheduled performances, citing the Republican leader's takeover.

Democrats, noting that the center's name was established by Congress, ‌have said Trump's rebranding has no force of law. John F. Kennedy's family denounced the renaming move as undermining the slain president's legacy.

Proponents of the name change said Trump had strengthened the institution through fundraising and ‌a focus on renovation.

Roma Daravi, a spokesperson for the center, did not mention Glass but characterized his decision ‌as political.

"We have no place for politics in the arts, and those calling for boycotts based on politics are making the wrong decision," she said in a statement.

Glass' Symphony No. 15 "Lincoln" was commissioned by the National ‍Symphony Orchestra and the Kennedy Center, the Washington Post reported.

Its premiere, already delayed, was due to be the centerpiece of the center's "250 Years ⁠of Us" program to mark 250 years since the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the newspaper said.

Jean Davidson, executive director of the National Symphony Orchestra, said, "We have great admiration for Philip Glass and were surprised to learn about his decision at the same time as the press."

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Joe Bavier and Howard Goller)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters

Related Entities

Donald J. Trump